- Introduction EPR
EPR is an add on responsibility on any entity who are involved in the manufacture, sale, purchase and processing of electrical and electronic equipment specified in schedule – I of the E-waste Management Rules – 2016. In present, a total of 16 IT products and 5 Consumer Electronic products are covered under the purview of the rule.
This may comprise of implementing take back system or setting up of collection centers or both and having agreed arrangements with authorized dismantler or recycler either individually or collectively through a Producer Responsibility Organization recognized by producer or producers in their Extended Producer Responsibility – Authorization.
In recent, the CPCB has department has come up with E-Waste Management Rule, 2022, having 80 new product/product categories. This may get applicable from 1st April 2023.
Key points of E-Waste Management:
- CPCB formulates the guidelines of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) in India
- EPR in E-Waste Management rule is the responsibility of any producer of electrical or electronic equipment, for channelization of E-Waste in safe and sound manner to ensure environmentally sound management of e- waste
- Online portal has been developed by the department to apply for the EPR registration and complete the statuary filings.
Applicant: The said rules shall apply to every manufacturer, producer refurbisher, dismantler and recycler involved in manufacture, sale, transfer, purchase, refurbishing, dismantling, recycling and processing of e-waste or electrical and electronic equipment listed in Schedule I. Following entity can apply for registration of EPR: Manufacturer / Producer/ Refurbisher / Recycler
Note: It is mandatory for Producer to ensure their service Provider (Recycler/ Dismantler/ PRO) are already registered in the portal. In the absence of the details of service providers available over portal, the application of EPR authorization shall be incomplete.
Timeline: 18-19 weeks for the grant of the certification from the date of application submission.
How C-PRAV Can Support:
- Being a good relation to recyclers across the cities, C-PRAC will help to manage to get EPR by CPCB hassle free.
- With a team of efficient resources working in multiple domains, we can help any manufacturers, brand owners or importers to apply for EPR as per the E-Waste Management Rule.
- Will support to share the desired checklist of documents at the time of online filing
- Handles online portal to cater any issue while applying for EPR
- Direct engagement with CPCB officials for approval of application
- Will help in annual filing in portal as applicable for registered product category
You can visit following links to see the official notification of E-waste Management rule 2016 & 2022