The most important decision to successfully and efficiently obtain BIS registration starts with the selection of a competent partner who is knowledgeable in Regulations, Standards, Testing , Registration Scheme and also can keep a constant line of communication with regular transparent updates of the process. C-PRAV has vast experience both on the technical qualification and experience in handling BIS projects. Our professional team will assist you with following parameters:
- Entire documentation related to the Registration process.
- Support as an Authorized Indian (Local) Representative for the Foreign Manufacturing Unit.
- Support and co-ordinate for the Registration of the Manufacturer with BIS.
- Testing of the Product from the BIS Accredited Lab as per the required Standard.
- Liaise with Lab for all technical issues and ensuring completion of tests on time and accurately (team has sound technical knowledge of standards and testing)
- Liaison with BIS for the submission of application and other documents.
- Sending pre-registration request and co-ordinate for the necessary documentation.
- Online submission of application.
- Visits to BIS office, Agreement/Documents signing, Affidavit.
- Co-ordinate/draft clarification reply to BIS to address queries raised by BIS, from time to time.
- Support any additional miscellaneous/incidental works like customs clearance of samples, etc throughout the approval process.
Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) has listed 68 products (in total) notified in the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) Orders under Phase I to Phase V started from 3rd October 2012 under phase I to the recent Phase V order dated 1st Oct 2020. This includes 6 Products under the MNRE scheme order dated 5th September 2017. Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has notified products like Solar Photovoltaics, Invertor Systems, Devices and Components.
As per these Orders, no person shall manufacture or store for sale, import, sell or distribute goods which do not confirm to the Indian standard specified in the order. Manufacturers of these products are required to apply for registration from the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) after getting their product tested from BIS recognized labs.
All foreign and Indian manufacturers need to apply for this registration to ensure flawless export and selling of the product into Indian market. The BIS (Bureau of Indian Standard), Delhi Office undertakes a thorough analysis of the product quality and functioning and thereafter issue the BIS Registration Certificate.
|S.No.||Notified Items||Indian Standards Number (IS No.)||Date of Coming into effect|
|1||Electronic Games (Video)||IS 616:2010||03 rd July,2013|
|2||Laptop/Notebook/Tablets||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||03 rd July,2013|
|3||Plasma/ LCD/LED Television of screen size 32” or above||IS 616:2010 03rd July,2013||IS 616:2010 03 rd July,2013|
|4||Optical disc players with built in amplifiers or input power 200w and above||IS 616:2010||03 rd July,2013|
|5||Microwave Ovens||IS 302-2-25:2014||03 rd July,2013|
|6||Visual Display Units, Video Monitors of screen size 32” and above||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||03 rd July, 2013|
|7||Printers, Plotters||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||03 rd July,2013|
|8||Scanners||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||03 rd July,2013|
|9||Wireless Keyboards||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||03 rd July,2013|
|10||Telephone Answering Machine||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||03 rd July,2013|
|11||Amplifiers with input power 2000w and above||IS 616:2010||03 rd July,2013|
|12||Electronic Musical Systems with input power 2000w and above||IS 616:2010||03 rd July,2013|
|13||Electronics clocks with Mains powers||IS 302-2-26:2014||03 rd July,2013|
|14||Set Top Box||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||03 rd July,2013|
|15||Automatic Data Processing Machine||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||03 rd July,2013|
|16||Power Adaptors for IT Equipment||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||01st December,2015|
|17||Power Adaptors for Audio, Video & Similar Electronic Apparatus||IS 616:2010||01st December,2015|
|18||UPS/Invertors of rating ≤ 5kVA||IS 16242(Part 1):2014||01st March,2016|
|19||DC or AC Supplied Electronic Control gear for LED Modules||IS 15885(Part 2/Sec 13):2012||01st December,2015|
|20||Sealed Secondary Cells / Batteries containing Alkaline or other non-acid Electrolytes for use in portable applications||IS 16046:2015||01st June,2016|
|21||Fixed General Purpose LED Luminaires||IS 10322(Part 5/Sec 1):2012||01 st March,2016|
|22||Self-Ballasted LED Lamps for General Lighting Services||IS 16102(Part 1):2012||13 th September,2015|
|23||Mobile Phones||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||13 th September,2015|
|24||Cash Registers||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||13 th May,2015|
|25||Point of Sale Terminals||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||13 th May,2015|
|26||Copying Machines / Duplicators||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||13 th May,2015|
|27||Smart Card Readers||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||13 th May,2015|
|28||Mail Processing Machines / Postage Machines / Franking Machines||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||13 th May,2015|
|29||Passport Reader||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||13 th May,2015|
|30||Power Banks for use in Portable Applications||IS 13252(Part 1):2010||13 th May,2015|
|31||Indian Language Support for Mobile Phone Handsets||IS 16333 (Part 3):2016||01 st May, 2018|
|32||Recessed LED Luminaries||IS 10322 (Part 5/Section 2):2012||23 rd May, 2018|
|33||LED Luminaires for Road and Street lighting||IS 10322 (Part 5/Section 3): 2012||23 rd May, 2018|
|34||LED Flood Lights||IS 10322 (Part 5/Section 5):2013||23 rd May, 2018|
|35||LED Hand lamps||IS 10322 (Part 5/Section 6):2013||23 rd May, 2018|
|36||LED Lighting Chains||IS 10322 (Part 5/Section 7):2013||23 rd May, 2018|
|37||LED Luminaires for Emergency Lighting||IS 10322 (Part 5/Section 8):2013||23 rd May, 2018|
|38||UPS/Inverters of rating ≤ 10kVA||IS 16242 (Part 1):2014||23 rd May, 2018|
|39||Plasma/ LCD/LED Television of screen size up-to 32”||IS 616:2010||23 rd May, 2018|
|40||Visual Display Units, Video Monitors of screen size up-to 32”||IS 13252 (Part 1):2010||23 rd May, 2018|
|41||CCTV Cameras/CCTV Recorders||IS 13252 (Part 1):2010||23 rd May, 2018|
|42||Adapters for household and similar electrical appliances||IS 302 (Part 1): 2008||23 rd May, 2018|
|43||USB driven Barcode readers, barcode scanners, Iris scanners, Optical fingerprint scanners||IS 13252 (Part 1):2010||23 rd May, 2018|
|44||Smart watches||IS 13252 (Part 1):2010||23 rd May, 2018
|45||Crystalline Silicon Terrestrial Photovoltaic (PV) modules (Si wafer based)||IS 14286 : 2010/ IEC 61215 : 2005||23 rd May, 2018|
|46||Thin-Film Terrestrial Photovoltaic (PV) Modules (a-Si, CiGs and CdTe)||IS 16077 : 2013/ IEC 61646 : 2008,||23 rd May, 2018|
|47||Power Invertors for use in photovoltaic power system||IS 16221 (Part 2) : 2015||23 rd May, 2018|
|48||Utility-Interconnected Photovoltaic inverters||IS 16169 : 2014||23 rd May, 2018|
|49||Storage battery||IS 16270 : 2014||23 rd May, 2018|
|50||Standalone LED Modules for General Lighting||IS 16103: Part 1: 2012||01 st April, 2021|
|51||Lighting Chain (Rope Lights)||IS 10322: Part 5 Section 9: 2017||01 st April, 2021|
|52||Keyboard||IS 13252: Part 1 :2010||01 st April, 2021|
|53||Induction Stove||IS 302: Part 2: Section 6: 2009||01 st April, 2021|
|54||Automatic Teller Cash dispensing machines||IS 13252 Part 1 :2010||01 st April, 2021|
|55||USB Type External Hard Disk Drive||IS 13252 Part 1 :2010||01 st April, 2021|
|56||Wireless Headphone and Earphone||IS 616: 2017||01 st April, 2021|
|57||USB Type External SolidState Storage Devices (above 256 GB capacity)||IS 13252 Part 1 :2010||01 st April, 2021|
|58||Electronic Musical System with input power below 200 Watts||IS 616: 2017||01 st April, 2021|
|59||Standalone Switch Mode Power Supplies (SMPS) with output voltage 48 V (max)||IS 13252 Part 1 :2010||01 st April, 2021|
|60||Television other than Plasma/ LCD/LED TVs||IS 616: 2017||01 st April, 2021|
|61||Rice Cooker||IS 302: Part 2: Section 15: 2009||01 st April, 2021|
|62||Wireless microphone||IS 616:2017||01 st April, 2021|
|63||Digital Camera||IS 13252 (Part 1): 2010||01 st April, 2021|
|64||Video Camera||IS 616:2017||01 st April, 2021|
|65||Webcam (Finished Product)||IS 616:2017||01 st April, 2021|
|66||Smart Speakers (with and without Display)||IS 616:2017||01 st April, 2021|
|67||Dimmers for LED products||IS 60669-2-1: 2008||01 st April, 2021|
|68||Bluetooth speakers||IS 616:2017||01 st April, 2021|
MeiTY the ministry that owns the BIS regulations has published the Series Guidelines for Products notified under Compulsory Registration Order.
- Manufacturers of any of the 68 products (in total) notified in the Compulsory Registration Scheme (CRS) Order must apply for a grant of Registration.
- Manufacturers have to apply for a separate Registration number for products being manufactured at different locations. Registration is factory based.
- Manufacturers have to apply for a separate Registration number for each Brand being manufactured at the same location. Registration is Brand based.
- Online submission of application
The applicants are required to fill the online application form for BIS Registration.
- Testing of products in BIS approved Lab
The product sample drawn for testing in the laboratory as decided by the authority of the Bureau of the Government laboratory empaneled by the Bureau.
- Scrutiny of application and Report by BIS officials
After the submission of the application, documents and the test report the BIS will scrutinize the applications.
- Grant of Registration Certificate
The BIS approval (Registration Certificate) is granted to the applicant within 25 working days from the date of receipt of complete application and its recording. Registration is initially granted for 2 years which has to be renewed after every 2 years. The renewal of the Registration Number can now be for a maximum of 5 years.
Total lead time for BIS Registration will be approx. 4-6 working weeks.
- Testing and report generation – 2 weeks.
- Registration of Manufacturer – 1 week.
- Preparation and submission of application to BIS – 1 week.
- Evaluation of the Application and Approval by BIS – approx. 2 Weeks.
The basic requirements for BIS registration are as follows:
A: For Foreign Manufacturer:
All foreign applicants having no liaison office or branch office located in India have to appoint an Authorized Indian Representative widely known as AIR.
The nomination of AIR shall be varying as per followings:
a) If the manufacturer has the liaison office /branch office in India, then they will become the AIR.
b) If the manufacturer does not have the liaison office /branch office in India but proprietor / registered user of the brand/trademark appearing on the article is located in India, then Brand/Trademark owner will become AIR.
c) If the manufacturer does not have a liaison office located in India and there is no proprietor /registered user of the brand/trademark appearing on the article, located in India then the other entity can be nominated as the AIR.
B: For Domestic Manufacturer:
The domestic manufacturer can directly apply to BIS without nominating Authorized Indian Representative (AIR). However, the domestic manufacturer also can obtain guidance and assistance from C-PRAV for getting their products certified.
In order to make the process seamless, avoid delays, pitfalls and high costs, it is most important to:
- Engage only a reputable, reliable, experienced and knowledgeable Certification Partner. This not only applies to foreign manufacturers but also domestic branch offices and local manufacturers.
- Need to ensure that the laboratory that you plan to work with (in country testing required) is authorized for testing of your product and is currently not in the middle of or about to get audited. Given the history that a many of the laboratories are under suspension due to audit failure, this point become highly critical.
The support from the manufacturer to provide all the required documents to C-PRAV becomes equally important to achieve this seamless process
C-PRAV ensure that only NABL accredited and active labs are engaged for the testing of your products.
- With the introduction of Smart Registration process by BIS, the samples have to be booked online with the Laboratories.
C-PRAV can assist here in booking the sample online and co-ordinate with the Laboratories for a smooth delivery of the Sample.
- You may be aware that as per the BIS pre-requisite, many of the mandatory documents required by BIS will have to be signed by the Manufacturer, Brand Owner and the Indian Representative. In addition, some of these documents may require Notarization by the Manufacturer and Stamped by the Brand Owner and Indian Representative.
C-PRAV brings in a lot of experience and will work with you well in advance to prepare the documents ahead of time to ensure that there are no delays.
- As per the prevailing regulatory rule, the validity for a test report is 90 days from the date of issue. For some reasons if the BIS submission did not get underway within this period, than the manufacturer will have to start over with a new samples submission and fresh Testing. This is time consuming as well as impacts the costs.
C-PRAV co-ordinates with the Laboratory and support the manufacturer by engaging in the documentations for application preparation in the beginning itself and meticulously co-ordinate to have the BIS submission completed well within the time lines.
C-PRAV, a team with technical specialists, can help you to determine if your products falls under the purview of BIS, support you from start to finish of this process including Samples handling, manage efficient testing, documentation and technical support with BIS queries until your product is successfully Registered.
Please send an enquiry to info@C-PRAV.com for a complete checklist of Documents required FOR BIS REGISTRATION.
There are four parameters that needs to be considered in BIS License/Certificate Approval process.
The BIS license shall be granted to the manufacturers only, not to the importers or the sellers. However, the importer can act as an Authorized Indian Representative on behalf of the foreign manufacturer and submit the application to BIS but the final license shall be granted to the manufacturer only.
- Manufacturing Address – Factory
If the same manufacturer having multiple factory locations for one product, then separate BIS license shall be required for each location.
Each product needs separate BIS license. However, if the same product having different models, then the same may be covered under one license.
- Brand / Trademark
Each Brand or Trademark need separate BIS license.
What is ISI Mark License
The ISI mark is meant for better quality and safety of the products. The Products with ISI mark indicate that the products are in compliance with the Indian standard quality. Products that are under the scope of ISI Certification are not allowed to be sold in without the ISI mark.
The purpose of ISI registration is to:
- Provide quality assurance of any product or goods;
- Increase the confidence of the customer while buying the goods;
- Provide a safeguard to the health of the customer.
Is it mandatory to obtain ISI Mark?
The government of India, as well as Bureau of Indian Standard, makes it mandatory to obtain ISI on certain products sold in India. Please find listed below the products that are required to sold compulsorily with ISI mark from September 2012.
INDIAN STANDARD MARK LICENSE FOR SAFETY OF TOYS
- All toys imported to India must be BIS certified
Safety of Toys is now covered under BIS mandatory IS mark scheme. As per the quality Control order 2020 issued by DPIIT, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, all domestic and foreign manufacturers have to mandatorily test the products with respect to IS 9873(Part 1): 2019 and IS 15644: 2006
- Regulation came into force since September 1st
- Applicable IS standards:
Non Electric Toys (these are ordinary toys such as rattles, dolls, puzzles, etc. which do not have any function dependent on electricity) as per IS 9873 (Part 1):2019
Electric Toys (these are toys which have at least one function dependent on electricity) as per IS 15644:2006
- Separate applications are required for each type of product. BIS will test the sample for conformity to the primary standard and the secondary standards which are applicable i.e. IS 9873-1 and parts 2,3,4,7, and 9)
- Safety of toys are covered under mandatory BIS IS License scheme and not under BIS CRS scheme.
C-PRAV can support you to get all the necessary application documents to be submitted to BIS and can co-ordinate for testing and help to obtain BIS license.