Wireless Planning & Coordination (WPC)
What is WPC Certification?
Wing of the Ministry of Communications, is the National Radio Regulatory Authority responsible for Frequency Spectrum Management, including licensing and caters for the needs of all wireless users (Government and Private) in the country. It exercises the statutory functions of the Central Government and issues licenses to establish, maintain and operate wireless stations. WPC is divided into major sections like Licensing and Regulation (LR), New Technology Group (NTG) and Standing Advisory Committee on Radio Frequency Allocation (SACFA). SACFA makes the recommendations on major frequency allocation issues, formulation of the frequency allocation plan.
What Approvals are required?
There are two certification schemes:
- Equipment Type Approval ETA/ETA-SD for Unlicensed bands
- Network, Non-Network, Experimental, Demonstration Licensing Approvals
Licenses can be obtained for equipment operating in the licensed bands. Some of the licenses are Experimental License, UL, VNO
Products which require license for importing as per Import Policy – Radio Broadcast Transmitter, TV broadcast Transmitter, Marine radio communication equipment, satellite communication equipment, Radio Apparatus, Direction measuring equipment, Direction finding equipment, Non directional beacon
Equipment Type Approval (ETA) required for products with Radios used in unlicensed bands
There are 2 types of ETAs. Self-Declaration ETAs and non-Self-Declared ETAs.
Wireless equipment’s exempted from licensing is listed in NFAP-Annexure 1 Oct 2018 (National Frequency Allocation Plan)
Self-Declared ETAs (ETA-SD)
ETA-SDs are for certain categories of wireless equipment operating in license exempt bands with low transmission power and are exempted from import licensing requirement as per the EXIM policy of DGFT
ETA through self-declaration is permitted for commercial / finished products such as mobile / computing devices viz as mobile handsets, smart phones, electronic notepads, laptops, Smartwatches, Short Range Devices including accessories, microphones, speakers , headphones, earphones, printers, scanners, cameras etc., operating in licensed exemption bands as permitted in India. A self-declaration from importer / authorised Indian representative may be treated as sufficient evidence to process such clearances by the Customs and Central Excise Authorities.
- On-line Applications; per Model
- Local Testing NOT required if accredited test reports are available.
- Local Representative is required. Foreign manufacturers cannot register directly on WPC portal to apply for ETAs
- No Labelling requirement.
- Life-Time Certificate
Documents Required for ETAs
- Technical specification/Datasheet
- Product User Guide
- Radio Test reports endorsed by any 17025 accredited Test Lab
- Authorization letter from Manufacturer
- Local Representative Agreement Letter
- Application Form validation.
Examples of Frequency bands covered under ETAs.
For products that are not exempted from import licensing requirement as per the policy of DGFT, hard copy applications with all documents (same as ETA-SD) must be submitted to a regional WPC office to obtain the Equipment Type-Approval.
Why WPC Approval is required?
WPC ETA is required for importing any Radio equipment into India, including walkie-talkie, RC cars/boats, drones/UAV, ZigBee, WiFi, Bluetooth devices, RFID, NFC, Wireless Chargers, etc. Imports of radio equipment into India, without WPC Approval will be confiscated by Customs at point of entry.
How C-PRAV can Help?
- C-PRAV will review all the test reports and documents for suitability
- Ensure the product is compliant to the ETA requirements with full Technical review and check for accuracy of documents required
- Submit application to WPC on behalf of the OEM as an Authorised Indian Representative (AIR)
- Represent the OEM and be responsible for the product’s ETA on behalf of the OEM.
- Liaise with WPC for processing of documents and follow-ups
- Obtain ETAs and share with OEM for their shipment of products
- Process for Import Permission Letter from WPC and share with OEM
- Be the point of contact for WPC in case of audits on behalf of the OEM
DPL: Dealer Possession License.
A Dealer Possession License (DPL) is issued to the prospective dealers and distributors of wireless products. All distributors/dealers of any wireless equipment are required to have this license. Demonstration and operation of wireless equipment’s are not permitted without a DPL. DPL forbids people and companies from possessing, transferring, or selling any wireless devices or similar telegraphy apparatus to any other person or organization without holding a valid license.
Any individual/company, Dealers and Distributors can APPLY FOR DPL.
- Technical specification/Datasheet
- CIN Certificate
- Identity Document (PAN, Aadhar)
- Photo of Applicant
- Digital Signature of Applicant
- Payment receipt
- Application Form signed
Contact C-PRAV to obtain your Dealers Possession License
C-PRAV is highly experienced in WPC Approvals. Highly competent with Technical knowledge of Radio Standards, Testing and reviewing Technical Reports which are critical for WPC Type Approvals. Our Global Testing and Certification experience helps obtaining WPC ETAs very efficiently.
Technical knowledge is very critical for Self-Declaration ETAs as the onus of product compliance responsibility is on the Local Representative. Audit activity is high for ETA-SDs hence OEMs must not risk product recalls and fines at a later stage.