The Department of Weights and Measures is now called the Department of Legal Metrology to be aligned with the international organization of Legal Metrology (India being a member country).
The main objectives of the department are
- Maintenance of accuracy in all weights Measures used in Trade, Commerce Industry
- Protection of Consumer Interest
- To ensure correct quantities for the prices paid
- To ensure correct weighing of farm produced in sale transaction
The Legal Metrology Act, 2009 currently having 57 sections is a single Act covering the provisions of the Standards of Weights and Measures Act, 1976 and Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act, 1985
The State Governments have also framed their State Legal Metrology (Enforcement) Rules for the implementation of the Act, 2009.
C-PRAV provides services for:
- Smart Water Meters
- Electronic Weighing Instruments
- Petrol Pumps
- Electronic Counter Machine